Friday 25 November 2016

Manneken Pis

I’ve been counselled about a lot of potential side effects from radiation and chemotherapy but the one thing no one talked about was how much I would pee!!

"Manneken Pis" translates from Dutch as
"Little man Pee".
It is a famous bronze statue in Brussels.
(Photo by: Myrabella / Wikimedia Commons, CC BY-SA 3.0)
   



Now, I’m not talking little tinkles every hour, I’m talking full-on full bladder releases.

I could water an entire farmer’s field.

At first, I thought this was because I have an IV bag of the chemo drug fluorourcil (5-FU) attached to me 24 hours a day providing a steady flow of the prescribed 0.1 ml of fluid every 20.8 seconds.

The first night I slept with the IV and pump I got up to go to the bathroom four times.

One of the risks of some chemotherapy drugs, in my case mitomycin, is renal failure, which is compounded by all of my HIV medications. I don’t usually drink a lot of fluids but I am consciously making an effort to drink more water to help flush the kidneys and that is probably the real reason for the frequent trips to the little boy’s room.

In addition to drinking more fluids to flush my body of chemo drugs I also have to prepare for my radiation treatment by controlling my fluid intake.

For radiation treatment to the pelvic lymph nodes my bladder needs to be the same size for each treatment, “comfortably full” they call it. There is nothing comfortable about a full bladder.

One hour before treatment, I have to empty my bladder (urinate) completely then … drink 500 ml (2 cups) of water to fill the bladder and hold it in until after treatment. This is usually not that bad if everything is on schedule.

Yesterday, when I arrived to check-in, the board with the anticipated wait-times showed that my radiation unit was out of service. Apparently the computers were offline and all of the units were out of service. The computers had just come back online and the unit was now officially an hour behind schedule. I was going to have to start over.

Having a full bladder ensures that all of the internal organs and other bits are always in the same place for each treatment. Before the treatment begins the technicians x-ray the pelvic area to make sure everything is where it should be. If my bladder is not full I cannot receive the radiation treatment.

Thankfully, after a slight delay, they were able to squeeze me in. I held it in a little longer.

I spent most of my quiet time on the treatment table thinking about not thinking about how much I have to pee and visualizing, like an athlete, how quickly I could pull my pants up, grab my IV bag and pump, coat and put on my glasses and run across the hall to my favourite watering hole, hoping it’s not in use.


References

List of exclamations by Robin
Wikipedia

Manneken Pis

HoHoHo Yellow Snow
agame.com

Kidney damage and chemotherapy
Canadian Cancer Society

No comments:

Post a Comment