Wednesday 30 November 2016

Is that a telescope in your pocket?

The first week of chemo and radiation is over and I am halfway through the second week. For the most part the side effects during the first week were mild, a little nausea and a little fatigue.

Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, I spent almost 6 hours/day at the hospital attending various appointments and treatments. They were long days.

For the most part, I still feel relatively well.

I had some mild nausea during the first week. My female friends have teased me saying that I now know whet the first few months of pregnancy feel like. The nausea was easily remedied with a light meal or some anti-nausea medication.

Fatigue. I'm not sure if this was the effects chemotherapy or radiation or long days at the hospital but I have been going to bed earlier than usual and sleeping in until 7:00 a.m. I usually get up and go to the gym at 5:00.

I haven't been able to exercise with the PICC line in my arm other than walking, so I walk the 6 km to the hospital and home every day. During the first week I also climbed the four flights of stairs up to the chemo clinic. By the end of the week the stairs were getting more difficult. I would arrive at the reception desk out of breath.

On Friday the "ball and chain" (pump and IV) were removed and I have a little more mobility for the next three weeks but the PICC line stays in until I need it again during the fifth week. They will pull the PICC line out on December 23. At the very least, I am able to have more than a sponge bath I can finally wash my hair.

Over the weekend I started to notice some skin changes, mostly drier and itchier skin. My hands are dry and scaly in some places; I think this is because of all the hand washing and using hand sanitizer, not my treatment. My scalp has become very flaky, lumpy and crusty in some place, washing my hair really helped and my local pharmacist recommended a good water-based moisturizer that Bruce massaged into my scalp and hair.

I also noticed some changes to my mouth, xerostomia, dry mouth, scaly roof, pasty/slimy cheeks, bleeding ums and some potential sores. As my body experiences neutropenia, lower white blood cell count, ther is a risk that the sores can become infected. I am trying to maintain good oral hygiene, brushing often with an extra-soft toothbrush and frequent rinses with a mouthwash made from water, baking soda and salt and a healthy diet.

I also started to notice itching in the area that is receiving radiation ... this I expect to get worse as the cumulative effects of the radiation get stronger. I have started doing twice-daily soaks in a bathtub with six to eight inches of warm water and half a cup of baking soda … it really helps. I have also stopped using toilet paper and switched to baby wipes.

Photo by : NASA
The selection of baby wipes in my local drugstore is overwhelming. I have never had to buy baby wipes before. I don’t have children.

To make things more difficult I can’t use products that are scented to make your baby's bottom smell as fresh as a country breeze or contain aloe, lanolin, alcohol or ethanol.

The ingredients are listed in a super-fine print that no human can read without using the Hubble Telescope.

Well, I don’t normally carry a Hubble Telescope in my back pocket … so there I was crouched in the drugstore aisle using the zoom on my iPhone camera.

When the diarrhoea hit yesterday morning I pulled out the iPhone again. There it was. The second ingredient. Citric acid!

Fuck that shit burns!


References

Dry Mouth (xerostomia)
Chemo Care

Neutropenia and Risk for Infection
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

Hubble Telescope
Hubblesite


No comments:

Post a Comment